Question:
Who would be Britain's king today if Salic law barred Queen Victoria from ascending the throne?
2012-07-21 14:00:01 UTC
Who would be Britain's king today if Salic law barred Queen Victoria from ascending the throne?
Seven answers:
Diana T
2012-07-21 14:15:42 UTC
Assuming Salic Law was passed during the reign of William IV, then next in the Line of Succession (bypassing Victoria) would have been George III's fifth son, Ernest Augustus.

Because Salic Law did apply in Hanover, Ernest Augustus eventually succeeded to Hanoverian Throne, thus severing the personal Union of Crowns Hanover and Britain had ever since George I ascended to the British Throne. His line is the following:

--- Ernest Augustus I of Hanover ---> George V of Hanover ---> Ernest Augustus II (3rd Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale) ---> Ernest Augustus III (Duke of Brunswick) ---> Ernest Augustus IV ---> Ernest Augustus V

Ernest Augustus V, Prince of Hanover is the current pretender to the Hanoverian Throne and the estranged husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco. If Salic Laws or other factors prevented Victoria from ascending to the Throne, Prince Ernest Augustus V would have been King of the United Kingdom. His Heir Apparent his his eldest son, also named Ernest Augustus.
Peter Taylor
2012-07-22 18:21:34 UTC
It would be prince Earnest Augustus V, Prince Ernst August if Hanover. You see, he is the male line descendant of Ernest Augustus I of Hanover, uncle of Queen Victoria and the heir of the British throne under Salic Law.

Interestingly, tat would make Caroline of Monaco Queen of the United Kingdom and her youngest daughter The Princess Royal!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Ernst_August_of_Hanover_%28born_1954%29

Note, however, that if Salic Law was applied in England then it would probably had come to a completely different Royal Family at the times of Queen Victoria - her grandfather would probably wouldn't be the King....
2012-07-21 21:10:20 UTC
I believe that would be Ernst August of Hanover.

Hanover actually DID have Salic law, so Queen Victoria couldn't take that throne, which had been held by the Kings of Britain since George I. Her uncle, the Duke of Cumberland, became King of Hanover. But if Victoria had not been able to succeed in the UK, then her uncle would have done so. His descendant is Ernst August.

He is the husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco and Hanover.

Edit: One of the other posters does have a point: if the UK had had Salic law, which prevents a throne from passing not only to, but also through, a woman, then Victoria's ancestor George I could not have become King, because his claim came through a granddaughter of James I. That means that Victoria's father and uncles would never have been in line either, and therefore Ernst August of Hanover wouldn't, since his claim also comes via that woman, whose name was Sophia of Hanover.

See below:
His Majesty The King
2012-07-22 05:22:30 UTC
It's HRH Prince Ernst August of Hanover, the current head of the House of Hanover and the husband of HRH Princess Caroline, The Hereditary Princess of Monaco.
熊冰冰
2012-07-21 21:51:17 UTC
If Salic Law applied, Victoria would have been nowhere near the throne. The monarchy would have changed course at the time of Mary I.
Paco
2012-07-22 00:52:32 UTC
The problem with strict interpretation of Salic Law is that William the Conqueror had 4 sons, two of which were King of England

(1) Robert Curthose became Duke of Normandy (one son who died at age 25 with no children)

(2) Richard of Normandy (died as a teenager in hunting accident with no children)

(3) William II of England (died in hunting acciden, no marriage, no children, no illegitimate children - probably gay

(4) Henry I of England - (only one daughter)

So there are no male line descendants of William the Conqueror. The dynasty would have died out with his children in only 69 years under strict salic law.
2012-07-22 12:29:52 UTC
According to my cockatiel, it is he who would be king, he certainly rules the roost in my home.