Question:
Why do people call kings "your highness" or "your majesty".?
winged navagator
2009-10-24 17:41:21 UTC
Why do people address kings as your majesty or your highness, but we usually address our president as just president.
Ten answers:
Ms. Minerva
2009-10-24 18:08:04 UTC
They are the polite way to address those who hold specific titles, just as it is polite when we address our President as Mr. President.

Form of correctly addressing important people in person and in writing is a complicated system, and it is enough to keep several staff members very busy at large establishments like palaces, embassies, and state residences.

If you have to put into the mix the correct forms of address to church and military personnel, you might as well consult a book to keep it all straight.

In the UK, one still, I believe, consults Debrett's

In the USA, one can consult the latest version of Amy Vanderbilt's etiquette book.

For the ever-changing heads of state, if one wants to make very sure of the correct form of address, it is always best to contact either the Embassy or one's own State Department for the correct protocol of address and precedence.
Paco
2009-10-24 22:20:35 UTC
Actually the United states went through a lot of debate about what to call the president. The style "Mr. President" was suggested by Thomas Jefferson, who felt that it had more dignity than just saying president. But a lot of people were originally in favor of higher level of adress, and many favored making the head of state of the USA a "king".

-----------

Specifically "Your Majesty" is a style when you adress a sovereign, while "Your Highness" is a style for princes and princesses, and other people who are designated as "royal". It is a mistake to call the sovereing "Your Highness".

----------------

You may know that Latin words were gradually introduced into the English Language after the year 1000. As a result, English often has two words that mean similar things. The word "King" is an Old English word.

----------------

The word "majesty" came into the English language around the year 1300 and it meant "greatness, glory" and was originally only applied to God. However, within a hundred years it also was a way to refer to the king. So it was probably first applied to Richard II (who was one of the least god-like sovereigns up to that point in history). The style of adress was intimately associated with the concept that the king was divinely ordained by God to rule the country.
capitalgentleman
2009-10-27 16:35:53 UTC
At one time, society was very stratified.

At the bottom were serfs, usually with a first name only.

Peasants were free men, not tied to land.

Next up were yeomen, once defined as a free man with an income of 40 pounds per year (from land).

Next were gentlemen, who needed to make 100 pounds per year. They were often armigerous, and this level in Scotland were considered untitled peers. They were entitled to be called "Mister."

Next, you have the peers, with addresses and styles according to rank. A prince, princess, or royal duke is a "highness," while a monarch is a "majesty," in the British system.

This system has gone by the wayside for those who are not peers. The use of "gentleman" after one's name ended around WWI, and the use of "Esquire" is in decline today, and it's use much disputed. "Mister" has come to mean any man (with Mistress and Miss for women). Peers are still styled and address in the old way, but I expect they get lots of junk-mail entitled Mr. So and So.

A president is not royal. He is basically a commoner elected to the post. The US does not have a system of titles, so, there is really no title to give him beyond "Mr. President."
The Dark Side
2009-10-25 01:56:53 UTC
Because it's part of their name, or it is the customary thing to do to show respect. Queen Elizabeth II's official title is Her Majesty the Queen, and so she should be addressed as "Your Majesty" for the first time on meeting her, and "Ma'am" (to rhyme with spam) after that in the conversation. Kings and Queens are almost invariably "Your Majesty" - "Your Royal Highness" is only for other members of the Royal Family.

Ms. Minerva is right - "Debrett's Correct Form" is the best reference book for British usage. Debrett is a firm that publishes reference books on the British monarchy and peerage a bit like "Who's Who", and "Debrett's Correct Form" tells you how to address all kinds of people - royalty, lords, clergy (the catholic church is VERY complicated) and the military. It also tells you how to reply to royal invitations and a number of other matters of social etiquette... and not surprisingly is 400 pages long!

I'm assuming you're American. When the US Constitution was being drawn up the possibility of the president being addressed as "His Highness" was seriously discussed at one point, but the idea was rejected. Abroad, he would often be called "Your Excellency" as this is an international standard form of address for ambassadors and other foreign dignitaries.
cywinski
2016-11-06 15:12:29 UTC
Your Highness Your Majesty
2009-10-24 23:26:56 UTC
One does NOT address a king as "Your Highness"! That is the address for a PRINCE.

Because they are considered to be HIGHER and more MAJESTIC than commoners.

And we address our president as MR. PRESIDENT or SIR.

But then, we don't have the older more traditional titles for a number of reasons...1) the President is NOT higher or more majestic than a commoner, since he (or someday she) IS a commoner, him/herself.

2) a huge part of that is the doing away with all things royal that come with revolting against royalty...which is what our country DID in the first place!
Fawkes
2009-10-24 18:52:05 UTC
Its a custom, the UK is not part of the USA the UK is a different country. Different countries have different cultures, this means that things that are acceptable in one country are not in another.

Your Majesty is used as a sign of respect, it is a common custom in our country to use a title when addressing someone we do not know E.G. Mr, Mrs, Miss, Sir, Madam etc.

I understand that you call your president "Mr. President" this is not actually his name this is his position. Why would you call him that ???

I also believe that you call his wife (a woman with no political standing) "First Lady" in my country a lady is the wife of a lord, a title given by the monarch. Why would you use such a title why not just call her by her name ???
2017-01-21 13:26:50 UTC
King and princess looks a splash creepy to me, 'cos it indicates dad/daughter, that's gross. of course, puppy names do no longer could desire to compare. I recommend, Rick and Steve call one yet another Piggy and Daddy, respectively, and that they are the happiest gay couple in all of the international. As for me, my lady buddy is often basically called sweetie or captivating. i'm usually darling.
2009-10-24 17:49:34 UTC
It's their title. For the same reason you address a man as "Sir" and a woman as "Ma'am."

Other titles include, "His Holiness" for the Pope, "His/Her Worship" for a Mayor, and "His/Her Excellency" for the Governor General.
2009-10-24 19:02:13 UTC
because America sucks. Its corrupt, polluted, and racist acts are still going on. There is also a lot of crime, bad economy, bad government, BAD COUNTRY TO LIVE OVERALL. :) Gosh, this sounds like Namibia or something.